Saturday, September 3, 2011

BULLDOGS & Peppers

Well the NFL season has not technically started, we still have another week for that!!  But I figured since this is the beginning of college football and I will be heading down to the Georgia Dome for the Chik-fil-A Kickoff game, I would have a "pre-season" blog with a simple start off blog for tonights game.  #19 ranked Georgia takes on #5 ranked Boise State in what should be a very good match-up and also a very different outcome that it was 5 years ago when the Bulldogs came out firing on all cylinders to a rout of 48-13.  While I am sure many Georgia fans believe they still have it in em to repeat I think the score will be much different, but with the same outcome, a BULLDOG victory!

Food
-  My buddies and I have been planning on heading down to the Dome for about a week or so just to take in the always entertaining tailgating festivities associated with a big time SEC game.  Plus its only 15 minutes away and I have a 3 day weekend to recover before heading back to work!  I was wondering what I was going to prepare for the game, something simple that would not take too much effort.  I decided on an item that I usually prepare for Braves games on a whim, because it fills you up and is really easy to prepare and also not too expensive.  Basic bratwursts with sauteed peppers & onions on a hoagie roll with an ice cold beer.  This is one of the few items that I prefer a store brand item as opposed to the name brands.  Publix has very good spicy bratwursts, much better than the name brands, and they do not taste as manufactured.  Here is a list of the items yo would need:
1.  4-8 spicy Publix brand bratwursts (Depending on how many folks you are feeding)
2.  Pack of yellow, green, and red peppers
3.  Medium sized onion
4.  Hoagie Rolls
  The preparation is the best part.  All you really have to do is saute the peppers & onions in a skillet with some olive oil or butter, whichever you prefer, until the pepper & onions are no longer stiff.  Throw all them in a container to bring with you to the game.  Once down there in your lot and having had a couple beers to really build up that appetite, fire up the grill.  Just like any other peppers, throw em on the grill and watch to make sure they dont stay on one side too long.  Throw all the peppers in aluminum foil, and put them on the grill just to heat them up.  After about 15-20 minutes slice up your hoagie rolls, take off your brats and prepare them with what ever condiments you want (spicy mustard, ketchup, etc), then take off the peppers and apply.  Once again this is a very easy and fast tailgate food to throw together for your friends that will be sure to make everyone happy.  ENJOY!

UGA
-  As far as the game is concerned I am very excited to see the whole Georgia squad.  A lot of people were amazed to see them ranked at #19 after a disappointing season of 6-7.  However, I think their defense is going to be stellar and their offense very under the radar.  I like the continued development of Aaron Murray, who I think has the potential for a Heisman season in his upcoming Junior and Senior seasons, if he does not bolt for the NFL.  The 'Dream Team' recruits will be a big role in how well we do this season and I think Crowell comes out in the first game of the season and shows the nation why everyone is so hyped about his abilities.  I mean just watch 5 minutes of his highschool reel, he's never not started in football, NEVER, even peewee.  One thing that I think is in our favor is the crowd, as long as all of Athens has made their way down to the Dome, plus everyone already in Atlanta, there will be a very rowdy crowd.  Now to the uniforms, everyone is either excited or dissapointed in them.  I could care less as long as the players think they look good and want to fly around the field hammering people.  Having said all of that, Boise State is still a very formidable opponent.  Their star has most definitely risen since we last faced them and have shown that they compete with the SEC, we will have to wait and see if tonight is their night.  While they still have an awesome quarterback who can fling it, you have to remember he lost his 2 big receivers to the NFL last draft.  I think the best thing I heard all week about the game was on ESPN, a reporter bluntly stated the starting center for Boise State is 5'9" 290lbs. while the starting nose tackle for UGA is 6'3" 350lbs.  HAHAHAHA, that got me pumped!!  I hope y'all enjoy the game, food, and atmosphere of tonight.  I'll see you all next week for the opening of the Falcons season against the Chicago Bears in Chi-Town!!!

-Bon Appetit, Long May You Eat

No comments:

Post a Comment